Detailed Job Description
Job ID: 1810 - AFSCME - FT (hourly)
Position performs installation, maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of plumbing fixtures and systems, electrical fixtures and systems, and basic carpentry tasks for university campus’ buildings. Position’s primary purpose is to ensure that work requests submitted by customers occupying these buildings are completed promptly, properly and politely.
- Customer Response – Ensures a response to malfunctions/requests in a prompt manner; performs quality work consistent with manufacturer’s requirements and complies with all applicable codes; provides frequent status reports to customers in a courteous and professional manner
- Troubleshooting & Repairs – Investigates, repairs and/or installs new plumbing fixtures, adjacent plumbing piping, moderately complex electrical outlets, electrical fixtures, and electrical door closures. Installs new floor tile, ceiling tile and associated grid, shelving, cove molding, new window and door glass, performs glazing; may remove existing floor tile containing asbestos with appropriate training; performs moderately complex repair of office, classroom and lab furniture.
- Preventive Maintenance Function– Replaces filters and belts in a variety of HVAC equipment, lubricates electrical motors and bearings, cleans coils and clay traps, maintains temperature control air compressors, ensures outdoor air intakes and louvers are clean and free of debris
- Water Treatment Function – Operates and maintains complex water treatment equipment including, but not limited to, reverse osmosis systems
- Verification & Documentation – Performs circuit tracing in buildings routinely, updates circuit breaker documentation, audits air filter quantities and sizes for buildings campus wide
- Tool Proficiency – Operates a variety of equipment to include pipe cutters, threaders, mechanical tools, snakes, glass cutter, table saw, drill press, scaffolding, and other relevant equipment; maintains tools in a clean and serviceable condition; reports broken or damaged items for repair or replacement
- Cleaning Function – Cleans attics, mechanical spaces, and mechanical equipment as directed
- Additional Functions – Assists in the performance of other building trades tasks in maintaining industrial equipment and in response to emergency situations as assigned
- Physical Abilities – Work may include; walking, lifting, bending, stooping, carrying, climbing; work environment may be very hot or cold
Requires six months of mechanical/trade training beyond high school and two years of repair/maintenance experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Requires driver's license.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience; previous experience in light to moderately complex plumbing, electrical and/or carpentry tasks desired
- Education/Experience – Previous experience in light to moderately complex plumbing, electrical and/or carpentry tasks desired
- General Knowledge – Basic knowledge and understanding of plumbing, electrical and other building functionality systems desired
- Attention to Detail - ability to maintain detailed and complete records of maintenance, repair, and testing activities
- Communication Skills - ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a wide range of persons
- Customer Service Skills – understanding of modern customer service theories, practices and methods
Special Instructions to Applicant
Employment will require a criminal background check according to University guidelines.
Miami University, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with smoke- and tobacco-free campuses, is committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities.