Unfortunately, this job is expired as of 3/2/2016.
To continue in your search through the appropriate job categories, click either Administrative Staff, Higher Education Executives, Faculty, Post-Doc and Graduate Assistants, . You can also utilize "guess-free" keyword search tools with up to eight pre-defined criteria. Search for and Apply to academic postings directly from the site. Post your background either confidentially or overtly. Stand out and be discovered!
Evergreen Valley College
Perform a variety of skilled gardening and irrigation systems maintenance duties in the development and maintenance of landscaped areas; operates a wide variety of turf mowing, commercial trucks and other maintenance equipment; assignments may require technical or functional direction of a project or work crew or to provide training to less experienced grounds maintenance personnel.
General supervision is provided after a training period by the Grounds Maintenance Crew Supervisor. Technical or functional supervision may also be provided by higher level grounds personnel.
1. Maintain ornamental and athletic field turf-grass areas by operating a wide variety of mowing equipment that includes commercial self-propelled rotary, triplex, tractor-drawn gang and hand mowers as well as power lawn edgers, weed-eaters and power turf sweepers.
2. Maintain automatic sprinkler irrigation systems for turf-grass, shrubbery, groundcover and tree plantings; repair ¾" to 3" automatic irrigation valves of various manufacturers; repair various manufactured commercial sprinkler heads; troubleshoot controller and electric valve problems; and monitor irrigation pond water level, maintain filtering system and assist in valve maintenance. Repair main lines up to 8" in size.
3. Prepare and maintain athletic facilities including soccer, football, hardball, softball, track and rugby fields; line various fields to league specifications. Operate power liner to mark and cut lines; renovate hybrid bermuda and sandbase fields; resod areas as use requires; remove and install goal posts; move field house, portable bleachers and backstops; schedule maintenance of turf (lining, watering, fertilization, mowing) around sports activities; and maintain tennis and basketball courts with power sweeper and blower.
4. Maintain ornamental areas of campuses and District Offices operating a wide variety of power equipment including chainsaws, power edgers and hedge trimmers, weed eaters, sprayers, tote vehicles, tractor and loader, forklifts, turf sweepers and aerial lifts.
5. Prune trees, shrubs and vines at proper season and with knowledge of correct procedures; edge groundcovers and renovate as needed; fertilize, apply pre-emergent herbicides, insecticides and fungicides to ornamental plantings under direction of employee with pesticide applicator certification; and use wide range of hand tools in performing maintenance of ornamental areas.
6. Mix, load and apply insecticides, fungicides, herbicides and fertilizers to ornamental plants and turf-grass under direction of employee with pesticide applicator certification; calibrate spray equipment ranging in size from two hundred gallon power rigs to three gallon spray cans; calibrate fertilizer spreaders; and apply materials in a safe manner, at recommended rates.
7. Apply bait for squirrels, rats and mice under trained guidance of employee with pesticide applicator certification; trap and eradicate gophers to provide safe athletic field playing surfaces; and apply chemicals to irrigation pond to control aquatic weeds.
8. Perform landscape construction functions involved in renovation of old plantings and new landscape installations; operate tractor and various attachments including loader, scraper, airefier, rototiller, overseeder, flail mower and auger in accomplishing required tasks; plant and stake trees, plant shrubs, groundcover and vines; prepare planting areas by rototilling in soil amendments and fertilizers, hand or tractor grading; install drain lines, headerboards; install new irrigation systems or modify old systems; and operate trenchers, install mainlines, valves, lateral lines, sprinkler heads and control wires to irrigation controller.
9. Perform a variety of tasks such as concrete work, blacktop repair, cyclone fence repair and assist Custodian and Maintenance staff as required.
10. Participate in District training as requested.
11. Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
1. Common plant, tree and turf pest and disease methods for their control and eradication;
2. Safe work practices;
3. Basic construction and repair methods; and
4. Proper and effective use of landscape and maintenance tools, equipment and materials.
1. Understand and carry out oral and written instructions specified in English;
2. Perform skilled landscape maintenance work;
3. Mix and apply herbicides, insecticides and pesticides safely and properly;
4. Pass a complete physical examination prior to permanent appointment; and
5. Work effectively with others encountered in the course of work.
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
You were inactive for over twenty minutes. To protect you, we have logged you out. Any unsaved data has been lost.