Detailed Job Description
ITSS (Information Technology Support Services)
Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor, Information Technology or assigned administrator, the Supervisor of Help Desk and Reprographics oversees the functions and activities of the District Help Desk and Reprographics operations. This position ensures that all users and clients receive applicable services in a timely and effective manner. The Supervisor provides self-service options for users and maintains accessible, relevant, and up to date support documentation. The Supervisor is also responsible for providing new training resources and support services for the assigned staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the Help Desk staff to assure users are provided with timely and effective first and second level Help Desk support during published hours of operation.
- Coordinate the Reprographics staff to assure printing services are provided in a timely and cost-effective manner according to district and college standards.
- Schedule staff hours to ensure Help Desk and Reprographics coverage is provided during normal business hours, peak-hours at the start of the semester and on-call support as needed.
- Provide advanced first level technology support for users and assist with problem resolution in the technical areas such as: computers, software, audio-visual, printers, phones, network access, wireless, mobile devices, ERP system, online courses, cloud services, etc.
- Monitor the Help Desk activities and follow up with staff and escalation procedures to ensure that open tickets are resolved and closed in a timely manner.
- Maintain current inventory of district office technology assets (i.e., hardware, software, services, support, etc.) and access college inventories as needed.
- Maintain and publish written documentation of all services provided (Service Catalog) along with service level goals.
- Monitor user feedback on services received by the Help Desk and Reprographics on a daily basis and respond to/address issues/complaints/suggestions regarding the service areas.
- Plan, coordinate, and arrange for appropriate training for assigned personnel for staff development; may provide workshops and training seminars for the staff and user community.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; interview and participate in selecting employees; train, counsel, and discipline personnel according to established policies and procedures.
- Research and recommend new product/equipment purchases; negotiate with vendors on pricing, service needs, maintenance contracts etc.
- Interface with a variety of vendors to procure hardware, software, and services and maintain current vendor relationships.
- Provide routine reports of services as required, analyze cost/service trend, and monitor department budget.
- Maintain a high degree of user visibility and participate in ITSS Management Team and designated working groups and committees.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Help Desk industry standards in higher education.
- Reprographics services and issues in higher education.
- Computer hardware systems, software applications used in college operations.
- Information technology standards and resources for Service Delivery.
- Model service delivery systems and current industry standards for providing relevant customer service processes and procedures.
- Inventory methods and techniques.
- Postal regulations and procedures.
- District policies and procedures.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Problem solving procedures and documentation.
- Provide overall direction and guidance to the daily operations, problem solving and decision-making regarding service areas.
- Oversee multiple programs simultaneously.
- Provide for program reporting and accountability.
- Prepare comprehensive program reports and reviews.
- Plan, train, assign, and evaluate assigned personnel.
- Establish and monitor program budgets.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Communicate with sensitivity and understanding with diverse clients and users.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work independently with minimum supervision.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
2. Three years of experience with increasing responsibilities in customer service areas resolving detailed computer-related technical questions, supervisory experience preferred.
3. Experience with printing service and mail service operations preferred.
4. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
5. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District’s hiring policy or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
$70,105 - $87,589 Annual Salary (Range S-120: Supervisory Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2014-2015). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse faculty consisting of 14% Hispanic/Latino, 22 % Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 52% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.