Detailed Job Description
The position of Gift and Biographical Records Specialist is responsible for performing gift and biographical data entry and data maintenance along with associated processes for Advancement. This position coordinates with an additional Records Specialist for some processes and to provide back-up when necessary.
Processing gifts consists of accepting, valuing and crediting/recording gifts to Bates College, including cash, credit cards, gifts-in-kind, securities and numerous planned giving vehicles, such as gift annuities and remainder trusts. Related duties include feeding the gifts to Finance, producing receipts and gift reports.
Biographical entry consists of adding constituents to the database, entering/updating addresses, activities, relationships and other demographic data. Constant attention is given to data integrity and clean-up efforts are required as necessary.
The person in this position communicates internally with staff members and externally with donors, alumni, parents, friends and organizations using multiple communication methods and is the primary contact for all gift and pledge concerns.
Essential Job functions:
- Responsible for gathering all checks, credit card donations, pledge forms, and other gift documents from incoming department mail for processing.
- Enters gift and pledge information into the alumni/development database, interacting with College staff and donors as needed. Produces and distributes receipts and is directly responsible for the accuracy of these receipts.
- Processes all matching gift forms, both online and hardcopy versions.
- Coordinates with others and/or prepares the daily bank deposits for transfer to bank; reconciles all gift activity to the bank deposit.
- Prepares and distributes daily, monthly, and quarterly reports on gift and pledge transactions and overall giving totals for a variety of offices.
- Creates and maintains gift designation codes related to gift/pledge processing.
- Oversees gifts of stock and securities and facilitates their transfer to the college. Values, enters and receipts these gifts in accordance with Advancement and Finance’s policies.
- Oversees all transitional monies (contributions pending and undesignated gifts and pledges) to insure they are quickly and accurately applied.
Biographical data related:
- Enters and/or updates data such as postal addresses, email addresses, activities, employment information, relationships and other related information.
- Adds constituents to the database for new donors, students and parents.
- Assists with special projects to clean data or add additional data to existing constituents.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as internal expert on gift and pledge information and provide direct support for the department in this area.
- Provide annual support for pledge reports, audits and rolls. Assist in setting up the incoming fiscal year and closing the previous one.
- Provide primary support to auditors as necessary.
- Help maintain hardcopy constituent files.
- Serve as backup to the Records Specialist during vacations and absences.
- Insures all procedures related to closing out the fiscal year are completed including final reporting.
- Insure all procedures related to initiating the new fiscal year are completed including physical files and Banner and reporting tasks.
- Produces, validates and distributes external reports including but not limited to the VSE report, in accordance with legal and organizational constraints.
- High School Diploma with some college study preferred.
- 3 years office experience with work processing, spreadsheets and databases required.
- Highly detail oriented with a critical degree of accuracy regarding data entry
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize work and adhere to deadlines
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Works well as part of a team
- Ability to work with confidential data
Working conditions include working under artificial lighting, near computers and other electronic equipment with extensive amounts of time spent using a computer monitor. Temperature is regulated to match that of a typical office environment. The position involves contact and communication with constituents, staff members, students and faculty through a variety of mediums including but not limited to: paper mail, email, telephone calls and face to face contact.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical conditions necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time; extensive use of computer keyboard; visual acuity; walking; standing; occasional light lifting or carrying( overhead, waist level, from floor); bending.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
This position requires successful completion of a pre-employment background screening.
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.