Detailed Job Description
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 3,500 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
TEMPORARY REFERENCE/INSTRUCTION LIBRARIAN - ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE LIBRARIAN reports to the Coordinator of Reference Services 20 hours per week, October 2012 through June 2013.
- This public services position provides an opportunity for a creative, student-centered reference/instruction librarian to play a role in the interpretation, and use of library resources.
- As a member of the Reference and Instruction Teams the successful candidate will provide reference service to a diverse campus community through regularly scheduled reference desk hours including evenings and weekends.
- This position includes participation in the Library’s information literacy instruction program, including instruction for freshmen English Composition students and general introductions to the library for various other student groups.
- The position may also include additional responsibilities based upon the Library’s needs and the successful candidate’s qualifications and interests.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent. Commitment to delivering high quality, student-centered reference and instruction service.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and to function productively in a group.
- Strong interest in working with both undergraduate and graduate students, as well as with faculty and staff in a collegial environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with all elements of a culturally diverse community.
- Good sense of humor and the ability to work well in a team environment are essential.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
Successful experience providing reference and/or instructional services in an academic or research library environment, with demonstrated computer-based skills and knowledge of Web technologies.
Depends on Qualifications
Application Instructions: Please apply on-line at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu. Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College. A complete application includes: A letter of interest and how you are prepared to support the Mission of the College A resume and an on-line application The name and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates who submit names of references should expect that references will be contacted, in confidence, by the College and that credentials will be confirmed prior to hire. Candidates who become finalists will be expected to sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry. Saint Mary's is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.