Detailed Job Description
The Department of Philosophy and Humanities invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning August 2013. AOS: Non-Western Philosophy. AOC: one or more of History of Philosophy, Ethics or Applied Ethics, Contemporary Continental, or Analytic Philosophy. Ability to teach Ancient and/or Modern Legacies, a first-year interdisciplinary seminar taught through UVU's Honors program, is a strong advantage.
Successful candidate will teach a 4/4 load of lower and upper division undergraduate courses, including surveys, areas of specialization, and department general education courses.
Design and implement new curriculum in Non-Western Philosophy and other area(s) of specialization.
Plans, prepares, and follows an approved course of study that includes measurable objectives for each course taught.
Instructs, manages, and supervises classes.
Evaluates instruction and learning by means of written, oral, practical, and performance tests.
Maintains and submits accurate and current reports and records involving student accountability, attendance, performance, and follow-up.
Establishes and maintains office hours.
Assists department chair, faculty, and staff in maintaining an effective program, including advisement and recruitment of students, curriculum development, program changes, etc.
Serves on committees and attends meetings as assigned.
Maintains currency in fields of expertise, research, and instruction.
Ph.D. from an accredited college/university in Non-Western Philosophy preferred. ABD with strong evidence of immanent completion will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Candidates must have experience teaching in a college/university setting and show evidence of commitment to teaching and scholarship.
Evidence of successful teaching, research productivity, and commitment to professional development.
Knowledge of subject matter and course content.
Demonstrated research skills.
Effective instructional strategies and techniques in upper and lower division courses.
Ability to manage, motivate, and evaluate students in upper and lower division courses.
Effective communication skills.
Conducts self in professional manner.
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to completing the on-line faculty application, interested candidates should submit via the on-line system a complete dossier with cover letter including teaching and research interests and teaching philosophy, CV, transcripts, student evaluations, a writing sample, and at least three letters of reference.
Completed application deadline is November 16, 2012 to ensure full consideration.
Committee expects to conduct preliminary interviews at the annual the Eastern APA conference.
UVU is a comprehensive state institution of higher education focusing upon teaching (4/4) and scholarship. UVU is an AA/EEO Employer. UVU, serving approximately 30,000 undergraduates, is located on the western front of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains, approximately 45 miles south of Salt Lake City.
About the area: http://www.uvu.edu/visitors/visit/area.html
- To be considered an applicant for employment you must apply online through the UVU.Jobs website.
- To receive full consideration for post-secondary education, please submit copies of transcripts or diploma of highest degree earned. Transcripts do not have to be official copies.
- To be considered in the first screening, the online application and required application documents (see below) must be submitted by the screening or closing date.
- Our system can only accept supplemental documents (such as cover letters or transcripts) in PDF or Word format. The file size of documents must be less than 2MB. It is strongly recommended that you take documents that are not in an electronic form and scan them into a separate black and white PDF file so you can attach them electronically to the online application. You can get help with this at a local copy center if needed.
-Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the results of a background check, which includes a credentials check, an employment check, and criminal records check. A criminal conviction is not necessarily a bar to employment.
- For questions contact Human Resources at email@example.com